Sunday, March 11, 2018

BFQG Birds!

I love teaching classes to quilt guilds. The guild members all know each other and the vibe of the room is always friendly and happy. The ladies of the Bedford Friendship Quilt Guild were no different. I had a grand time with them, and didn't take nearly enough pictures.


 .

This was a very thoughtful group. 

They had a lot of fun determining how long the bird's legs had to be.

One student had a hard time maintaining the 1/4" seam allowance while making the legs because the presser foot on her sewing machine was so wide. A quarter-inch foot generally works just fine, but she didn't have one. "Could I use a zipper foot?"

I thought it was a terrific idea and said so.

 .
And check this out...

 I had mentioned that having a central table with a big cutting mat would make it easier for the students as individual worktables get cluttered quickly. The ladies of the BFQG did one better and put two cutting tables up on these bed risers, making it easy and comfortable to work on. I ended up spending most of the day at one of these tables, giving demonstrations, advice and a lot of one on one attention.  This is an idea I plan to steal!


If you'd like to make your own birds, you can get the tutorial here, at my Etsy shop. It's an instant download, so you can get started right away.

2 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

More stupendous student birds! I love tables on bed risers - makes my back feel MUCH better than leaning over for a too-low surface.

Susan A said...

Hi..just want to say I love the blog...another idea for upping tables is to use pvc pipe..found in home depot or Loews...u can adjust the high, t by how long u cut the pipe