Monday, October 2, 2017

Interpretations

 Most free pieced barns are imaginary, or inspired by real barns. Most free pieced barns are not meant to be accurate representations, but when I saw my brother's barn in Colorado, I knew I had to make a free pieced barn based on it. I've been all over the country and never seen a barn like it. I think it's the most beautiful barn I have ever seen.

He designed and built it. It's post and beam construction, and he built it low on purpose, so as not to obstruct the view of the 14,000 foot mountains of Colorado that surround it.





When I make my free pieced barns (or birds, or anything else I make that way) I don't measure with a ruler, I measure by eye. It's a skill I learned while learning how to draw. I know I'm good at it, but sometimes it surprises me. When I put the picture of my free pieced barn next to a picture of my brother's barn, I was amazed I got the scale and general proportions just right. I also didn't want to clutter up the design with the bins and planters, picnic table, furniture, grill or gates. I knew that those elements could clutter up and obscure what I meant to be the central focus - the barn.

I didn't want to make an exact representation, but I wanted my barn to be close enough so you'd know which barn inspired it. As in all such interpretations, decisions have to be made about what to include and what to leave out, and what fabrics to use to suggest the original. Fabric choices were based on what fabrics I had in my stash, and what were available to purchase, so I did the best I could.

I was very happy with the way the barn turned out.

10 comments:

Ann said...

Excellent choices all the way around. I'm particularly drawn to the doors and the lower left roof line. I like that dimension.

Nancy J said...

Happy, I would be ecstatic. It is a fantastic interpretation, and when he receives it, I am sure there will be a trumpet call sung across the states between you both.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Great piecing. You captured the feel and setting.

Pat said...

I've never been a fan of barn making but you really changed my mind on this one. Terrific job, but you don't need me to tell you that. :-)

Quiltdivajulie said...

Truly outstanding -- both the real barn and your free pieced barn. How interesting to see the two photos this way.

Eat Sleep Quilt said...

Beautiful interpretaion! I particularly like what you did with the grass in the foreground.

Sandi said...

I have to say that I was more focused on the text of your article rather than the pictures and thought it was just a different view of the real barn not your interpretation of it. You did an amazing job of recreating it and the scale! Your brother will enjoy this for many years. As I'm sur you will enjoy his handmade box in return. Congratulations to you both.

clarayacaldwell@gmail.com said...

You ought to pat yourself on the back! This is gorgeous. I really thought it was another photo not a fabric representative. Kudos for sure.

LizA. said...

Wow! I've been following the progress of this barn and the birds and it's just wow!

This evening I was looking up the hours for a shop I'm hoping to visit tomorrow when I'm in the area and happened on this fabric. I instantly thought of this quilt in case you're looking for backing ideas. http://www.runningstitchfabrics.com/shop/c/p/108-Large-Western-Birds-x28748699.htm

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

You are the expert barn maker, somebody should put you in a book! LOL